Sunday, April 10, 2011

Reflection #1

Just over a month into the program and it doesn't seem like it has been that long. Even in this short amount of time there have already been ups and downs for me. Feeling content and feeling anxious.

The feeling of fitting in somewhere. Being in a place that I belong. On the farm, working hard. Finding a local place to live close to the farm to keep from having to commute. Having a good first advising session.

Having funding fall through. Not really knowing how Dee and I will make this work financially once I am finished with the program. Deciding to not move to the upper peninsula. Commuting everyday. Feeling like I am being “that guy”.

But all in all this still has been a great experience and still feels like the right choice.

I came out to the farm on my way back from Ypsilanti to write this reflection. It seemed like the most appropriate place to sit and gather my thoughts. Listening to the wind blow the plastic on the hoop houses. Watching the birds go about their daily lives. Smelling the pigs. Looking at the straw bales and still being amazed that someone figured out how to make a machine to make those bales and tie the knots.

It was just a little too windy to be able to concentrate and not worry about my laptop screen flipping back and forth, so I relocated and can work on this in a more controlled environment.

I have started to figure out what is the best way for me to learn. It is where I want to figure out what to do based on the instruction we've received and then confirm my thoughts and learn where I need to change my thoughts. I think that knowing how I will learn the best will be the biggest thing on my side going forward.

Once I started to live in Lansing, for some reason I stopped doing my daily meditation and walk around the farm. Not sure what that was about, but I will be working on doing that again as well as making observations about the other parts of the farm that maybe useful at my own farm.

Now we start our summer schedule. Every weekday at the farm. Coming in early. Staying late. Working. Sweating. Mental and physical exhaustion. Building a connection with the land, flora and fauna. Planting, watering, weeding. Piglets and chickens. Leading. Following. Teaching. Learning. Taking pride in every task and celebrate every accomplishment. Test limits. Building long lasting friendships.

I can't wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.